Part of the spiritual world is made up of chakras of different types and colours. If you believe that there is a higher power, such as Source, God, or the Universes, then it will be easier for you to make a connection if you understand the chakras, their different colours, as well as their meanings.
What Are Chakras?
The human body has 7 chakras that connect to the body’s mental, physical, and spiritual body, with each chakra having a different colour that forms part of the energy wheel that runs through the body. The main chakra energy centres start at the bottom of the spine and run all the way to the top of the head. Chakras have their own colours, energy, and meanings, that connects to the human body physically, emotionally, and spiritually. The main purpose of these chakra colours is to help you to have a good life that is healthy and fulfilling.
Chakras are vibrating every minute of the day to keep the mind and body active. The colours of chakra follow the same order as the colours of the rainbow, and include red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
What Is The Meaning of Each Chakra Colour?
The meaning of the 7 different chakra colours is as follows:
- Red, the Root Chakra – signifies survival consciousness. Its red colour is the symbol of survival, grounding, nourishment from the Earth energy, and safety. It is believed to be a human being’s relation to the Earth and is situated at the bottom of the spine, linked between the anus and genital area. It symbolises the instinctual reaction of flight or fight in a person, and the basic need to have shelter, food, comfort, and safety to survive. The root chakra is the basis of the energy centre and its requirements are orderliness, physical strength, and logic. The root chakra can become blocked when stressed, so it is essential to have a good night’s sleep, plenty of sunlight, and regular exercise.
- Orange, the Sacral Chakra – situated underneath the belly button, this chakra relates to flow and water, and is also associated with creativity, sexuality, and emotions. Being close to the region of the womb, it is the chakra that connects humans to others through sexual intercourse, fertility, and reproduction. With the Sacral chakra, comes feelings of desire and intimacy, and when there is no connection of intimacy between ourselves and others, the chakra becomes blocked. Tantric yoga helps in this situation, and when you’re aligned with the Sacral chakra, you will be able to enjoy healthy sexual experiences, self-love, and the other pleasures of life.
- Yellow, the Solar Plexus Chakra – situated two inches below the breastbone, above the belly button, this chakra is all about trusting your gut instincts. The energy centre in the diaphragm area allows you to consciously trust in yourself. The Solar Plexus chakra encourages feelings of being friendly and confident. If there is an imbalance in this chakra, you will feel powerless and have difficulty in acting on the things you want and need in life. However, an open and aligned yellow chakra gives you strong and healthy feelings of personal power with the desire to use these feelings to promote high self-esteem in the world, for both yourself and others.
- Green, the Heart Chakra – the Heart chakra, with its element of air, signifies compassion and unconditional love, and psychic intuition, after the saying “follow your intuition,” as some also believe. A blocked green chakra results in lack of intuitive insight and creativity, loneliness, and in some cases, even cause heart or breathing problems. However, when you experience self-acceptance, love for yourself and others, and can give and rejuvenate love easily, then your green chakra is on the right path. That is when your Heart chakra will signify abundance, prosperity, empathy, alertness, and good health!
- Blue, the Throat chakra – this fifth chakra relates to speaking, communication, listening, sharing, and noticing things communicated from a higher form. Situated at the level of the throat in the middle of the neck, the key element of the blue chakra is sound. A clear throat chakra allows you to speak the truth.
An imbalanced chakra, on the other hand, will make it hard to tell the truth, and have you say only those things that others want to hear. This chakra is blocked when you experience neck pains, have feelings of frustration or anger, that you are misunderstood, or find it hard to express yourself. However, when the blue chakra is open and aligned, the truth comes easily to you, and you have the feeling that others respect you and are listening to what you have to say. Meditation is one way to help keep the throat chakra open.
- Indigo, the Third Eye Chakra – situated in the centre of the eyebrows, the indigo chakra is the third eye chakra, signifies light, and enables us to focus, imagine, and visualise. It is also the entrance to the Divine, particularly at night. The indigo chakra is a spiritual practice that helps to develop feelings and thoughts of self-awareness, peace, and psychic energy in our minds. The colour of this chakra encourages strong awareness and inner wisdom. The third eye can easily be blocked when the mind is stressed, too busy, or overthinking, which makes it hard for a person to see exactly what they want in life. This blockage brings on thoughts of struggle in finding the meaning of life, relationships, and careers, and sometimes even causing memory disorder issues and insomnia. When the third eye is open however, you are guided along the right path and will experience an incredible sense of knowing your own inner truth.
- Purple, the Crown Chakra – the seventh, or Purple chakra, is the one that connects us to the divine source energy or wisdom and love. Situated on the top of the head, it signifies spirituality and purity. Thought is its element, and empowers our belief systems, enlightenment, and spirituality. Its colour is purple, but can also sometimes be purple and white, which are the universal colours associated with universal connection through consciousness and spirituality.
Fear of the unknown, feelings of loneliness, headaches, and a lack of being connected to a higher power like Source, God, or the Universe, are all signs of a blocked chakra. We can have feelings of deep gratitude for life, feel connected to a higher power, and feel love for others and ourselves, if we use meditation to open our crown chakra, which supports the spiritual connection between two people.
How To Open Your Chakras
Meditation, as mentioned above, is just one way to open your chakras.
Keeping a journal is another great way to do this. When you feel sad, angry, doubtful, frustrated, or anything else negative, get it out of your mind by writing it down. Doing this gets the emotions and chakras going again, and once you have it all on paper, let it go and start on the next chapter of your life’s story. Whether negative or positive, your beliefs support your chakras, so the sooner you make notes of your story and start believing in the positive side of things, the better your life will become.
Affirmations too, are excellent ways to open your chakras. Telling yourself that you are worthy of love, that you are important to yourself and everyone else around you, and other positive things, can all help to open blocked chakras.
Yoga is one of the best forms of exercise, not only to keep you fit, well-toned and healthy, but also to open chakras and allow them to work at their fullest!
Step Inside The Spiritual Gym And Do A Complete Chakra Cleanout!
Although you might be tempted to work only on a couple of chakras at a time, you must bear in mind that they are all intertwined, so if one or two are out of alignment, the rest won’t be able to work as they should. According to the experts, it is best to clear all your chakras to get the best possible results.
It’s the same as going to the gym for a workout. It’s no good working on your abs only and expect the rest of your body to look and feel good. You must go all out and do strength training, ab exercises, and cardio workouts if you want to achieve excellent, full-body results!
Keep all your chakras open frequently, by concentrating your energy on all the areas where they are situated in your body.
You May Also Like: How To Read The Aura